Martin Stellar is a coach and consultant for ethical sales and business growth, as well as a former monk, tailor, and copywriter.
Martin has lived an incredibly rich life, with many creative and introspective adventures. He draws on his experiences and years of study in psychology and business, to provide guidance for professionals and entrepreneurs.
I met Martin earlier this year as I took up his offer on a coaching call, curious to see how his experience and framework would apply to this project, Design Disciplin. He gave me food for thought on the ethics and psychology of entrepreneurship that was far more useful and wider-ranging than I expected. In this conversation, we revisit some of those ideas, find some new ones, and dig into Martin's extraordinary story. We discuss mental models that have value reaching far beyond sales and business – we arrive at frameworks we can use to align our professional and personal lives.
# Books, Links, and Resources
- Clients from Hell: https://clientsfromhell.net/
- Getting Everything You Can Out of All You've Got by Jay Abraham: https://geni.us/getting
- How to Win Friends and Influence People by Dale Carnegie: https://geni.us/how-to-win-friends-dd
- Mindfulness, Bliss, and Beyond by Ajahn Brahm: https://geni.us/mindfulness-bliss
- Never Split the Difference by Chris Voss: https://geni.us/never-split
- Pitch Anything by Oren Klaff: https://geni.us/pitch-anything
- Spent by Geoffrey Miller: https://geni.us/spent-dd
- The Futur: https://thefutur.com/
- The Ten Faces of Innovation by Tom Kelley: https://geni.us/ten-faces
- Zen Mind, Beginner's Mind by Shunryu Suzuki: https://geni.us/zen-mind-dd
# Connect with Design Disciplin
- Website: http://designdisciplin.com
- Podcast: http://podcast.designdisciplin.com
- Instagram: http://instagram.com/designdisciplin/
- Twitter: http://twitter.com/designdisciplin/
- YouTube: http://youtube.com/channel/UCtXM3JdnE...
- Bookstore: http://designdisciplin.com/bookstore
# Connect with Martin Stellar
- Website: https://martinstellar.com/
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/martinstellar
# Episode Bookmarks
00:00 Designing personal presence and conversational experience
03:36 Ethical Sales
08:05 Having conversations and being interested, at scale
14:56 The rewards and troubles of curious living and reinventing oneself
20:46 The path and philosophy of a monk
25:51 Becoming a tailor and entrepreneur
29:40 What design is the right design?
34:48 Aligning business goals and self-goals
43:28 Places and tools for work
44:10 What's next for Martin Stellar